Saturday, January 13, 2007

Ceropegia Woodii- A Plant Review

Ceropegia Woodii is an evergreen-flowering plant native to South Africa. It is often commonly referred to as 'String-of-Hearts' or 'Rosary Vine' and if you look at the image attached to this entry it should be clear why it has gotten those common names. The leaves are heart- shaped and green with white marbling and it develops little tubers along the vines that will root when they come in contact with soil.

It likes bright light and in my care it I have observed it to tolerate heat well and like medium waterings and bright light and well draining soil. I actually have two of them the Ceropegia Woodii picture you see above and another plant that has smaller arrowhead like leaves.

As a hanging plant it has received a lot of compliments and questions even though I have yet to get it to flower for me (yes, it does flower) but it's my life's goal to see it do so. On my second plant the tendrils are about 4 feet in length and I propagate it from cuttings or by sitting the tubers it develops on a soil surface. If I notice some shrinkage in the tubers I know I've gone too long in watering it and it needs a drink.

You really should give this wonderful plant a try it's vining nature makes it an awesome hanging plant that can be kept out of the reach of children and pets. But if you're short on space to hang this plant grow it on a wire topiary frame of various shapes and sizes.

I have to give Ceropegia Woodii ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ out of 5 stars. It's a great plant to have in your Cacti & Succulent collection or any houseplant collection.

My other blogs are:

MrBrownThumb
GardenHacker

No comments:

Latest From My Blog